Eating health and looking after the environment
Eat a more ‘plant-based’ diet where you can: Finding ways to get more vegetables, fruit, bean and wholegrain foods into our diet can be good not only for our health but for the planet as well. We can do this by following the UK healthy eating model, the Eatwell Guide.
- Get your 5 A DAY: Eating plenty of fruit and vegetables is important for health and these foods normally have less impact on the environment.
- Shift towards more plant-based protein sources: Expand your choice of protein foods to include more beans and other pulses, nuts, seeds and plant-based meat alternatives (for example soya- and mycoprotein-based alternatives, or tofu) that are not high in saturated fat or salt, alongside some lean meat and poultry, fish, eggs and lower fat and lower sugar dairy foods.
- Eat fewer foods high in fat, salt and sugar: We all know foods such as cakes, biscuits, pies and pastries are not healthy choices, but limiting these foods in our diet can also be a good way to reduce our environmental footprint.
- Choose sustainably sourced fish: If you eat fish, try to have 2 portions of fish a week and make one of these an oily fish (like salmon, mackerel or sardines) ensure they come from sustainably managed sources – look out for logos such as the blue Marine Stewardship Council (MSC)
- Food waste is costing the average family over £60 a month and plays a major role in climate change, accounting for nearly 10% of total greenhouse emissions globally. We all need to
- start finding ways to waste less food, and that can be good for your back account and the planet!
- Plant-based does not always mean healthy: Some foods sold as ‘plant-based’ can be high in salt, sugar or saturated fat. Make sure you check the label and look for the green or amber on the labels
Check out our Group Fitness Classes
Enjoy access to over 100+ group exercise classes with us today, view our fitness timetable to find out more.Find Out More
Join as a member and access our facilities for free
Save money and be more active with our affordable no contract memberships. Join online today and get active.Find Out More
Get the family active with Swimming Pools
A great way to enjoy family time and stay healthy, with plenty to do for all ages in our iconic Leisure Pool, come make a splash today.Find Out More